Friday, February 26, 2010

This small pen and ink drawing by the italian sounding english illustrator Edward Ardizzone hangs on the wall to the left of the TV at home and I often find my gaze being drawn away from the box to this little picture.
I like pictures that seem to hold a hidden story, what is this young girl (dressed like a maid) looking out from her attic window thinking ? Is she a prisoner ? Is she waiting or looking out for someone ? It's all a mystery but it seems somehow full of hope. And I like looking out of high windows because like the girl in the picture I'm a bit of a dreamer too.
The picture actually illustrates a story in Eleanor Farjeon's 'The little bookroom' It's a wonderful collection of stories, but I think this picture, like the best illustrations stands up as 'art' in its own right - whatever that is.

On the website blog we have posted a new hanky design we have just printed, go to New Stuff Blog

4 comments:

lisa stubbs said...

This illustration is beautiful and reminds me of another children's illustrator Claudio Munoz, whose illustrations are beautifully narrative and animated. I love your taste in art!

Wendy said...

It reminds me of a book I read as a kid, The Little Princess. Though, I think she might have been relegated to the basement, if I remember correctly.

Caroline Dulko said...

A lovely drawing :)
The new hanky is brilliant! X

Jenny said...

I love Ardizzone, too, and that's certainly a lovely, wistful little drawing.